Wednesday, June 6, 2012

A L Etter's Revised Artist Statement


Creating things with my hands has always been an aspiration of mine. I decided a few years ago that it was a craving that was not fleeting; against all of my family’s wishes I would obtain a degree in the arts. I attended South Puget Sound Community College from the ages of 16 to 19; I finished my Associates degree at the age of 18, and spent the next year in the arts exploring different mediums and gaining experience before I attended Central Washington University.  Though my work has contained many different styles and subjects, I have slowly been working towards strictly nature-influenced work.
As a child I was always interested in learning about the things around me. I spent more time alone exploring the world and observing as much as I could. I preferred to watch things like the Discovery Channel and read my dad’s National Geographic than playing with other girls my age.  Before I was able to read, I would find all the nature books I could and look at the pictures for hours.
My work ranges from portrayals of landscapes to close examinations of plants, animals, and people. I especially enjoy creating works of art containing various marine organisms. I tend to portray lesser-known animals. I aspire to become a scientific illustrator when I am all said and done with school, focusing oceanic fauna. By using my knowledge of these animals, I am able to recreate them, whether it is in metals, drawing, painting, or sculpture and put them in the public’s view. My goal is to educate people, to give them a chance to see and learn something new; to at least glimpse some of the things that keep me in awe, even if it is my artwork and not the actual creature.  
I am opening up a new chapter in my life by studying abroad for a year in Tasmania, Australia. I will be taking mostly art classes and will come back with all the credits I need to graduate. I was informed that I will be the only American student going to University of Tasmania's Launceston's campus at the School of Visual and Preforming arts. I plan to also spend as much time as I can in and around the ocean to further gather inspiration for my art and future career choice.




No comments:

Post a Comment